22/09/2014

LootCrate September unboxing



LootCrate September unboxing




Here we are again, it is that time of the month when I get to dig in to a new batch of nerdy goodness. This month theme of the Crate is galactic. LootCrate had spoiled that the items would be from Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens and Firefly. They also said that most of them would be special editions in one way or another. So with all that in mind my first reaction was a bit meh actually.


Mostly because I was hoping for a different Star Trek item and I was never a big fan of the Reaction line. But as I dug down things got a lot better. But let us start if with the most obvious item in the box.



That fuzzy orange ball of love is a Tribble, It is from an episode of the original series that I honestly have never seen in its entirety. But to make a long story short these small things mind control people to pick them up and bring them with them, caring for them and if needed protect them. They also breed on a level that would make fungus envious. Now beyond its novelty value it is in essence just a furry ball. But not a bad item per se and in a way a welcomed step away from the usual starship or insignia that make up the most of the Star Trek merchandise these days.



Next up we have a big damm hero, in tiny plastic shape. Ladies and gentlemen Mal from Firefly. The style of this mini is simply adorable and for me this is one of the items that made the box. It might be that everyone get this figure but any way I feel glad that I got it. Being a casual fan of the Firefly series and one of the people who are actually ok with it only being one season, because my god is it good.



Now many many years ago a company by the name of Kenner made a lot of license toys, mostly action figures and playsets. The ReAction line aims to bring these toys back to the front for collectors that want a slice of their childhood back but do not care to mortgage their house to get an original. So it is the original Kenner moulds but recast. Also that is a horrid image but it simply did not photograph very well. Will try to create a light-box for the unboxing. I personally like my action figures big and bold with tons of articulation. But I can see how this line of toys have fans.



Poprocks are simply Poprocks. It is a candy that crackles in your mouth as it melts. This one is apple flavored and very tasty.



Here we have a star Wars fridge magnet… It sticks to metal. It is also made in the style of Asteriods. You can never have to many fridge magnets.



Now for the in my mind star of the show.  See if you can guess what it is…
--
-
Yes they are a prop replica of the money used in the firefly series. It is a set of 100 and 500 bills and they are awesome. This is one of these items that symbolize why I get these boxes. Random stuff that I would never buy myself. I am not sure what I will use them for but they will look really nice in my bookcase.



Halo digital comics. Not a big Halo fan myself but they make for a good gift or give away. Would have preferred to have them in physical form but this is a lot easier on the shipping =)



Han Solo in carbonite poster. This is a classic motif that never gets old. It is a bit sad that they folded it as it will take some time to undo the folds but it would have taken up way to much space otherwise. A decent size door-hanger that I think would fit in any geek-cave.

Then there was the monthly magazine and pin, no shirt this month either unfortunately but I have a nagging suspicion that this was due to the cost of shipping the shirt and the bulk it takes up. But I hope we see a shirt next month’s crate.

So to sum this month up it was a bit his and miss. Loved the firefly items and the candy, Poprocks always wins in my book. But the rest was meh… The Tribble will most likely make a home on H´s desk and I will put the Alien figure in the gift pile. Poster was nice and a much better size then the BatMan once from the Villains crate. No shirt was a bit of a bummer too as they are always cool,

´till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment