28/03/2017

Mass Effect or Mess Affect...?

Oh boy did EA manage to piss people off with the release of Mass Effect Andromeda. 

Now my guess is that most people, like me. Had a fairly balanced opinion on the chance that EA would not in some way cock up the next chapter in the most beloved space saga on modern entertainment media. But we do very little in the way of waves on the internet. 

No! it is the loud people tossing a fit that get into the media. Now this was fairly meek coming on the heels of the "Jim sterling gave Breath of the wild a 7" tac nuke that had people losing not only their shit but literally try to melt someone with anger. It did also help that people had an actual cause for their anger. The game shipped with some serious issues such as poor animations and a story that need a few hours to get going. 

Personally, I was expecting the 4th game to be much like the third. That is not as bad as one might expect. I did like the third game but I also saw the entire game as one long ending chapter.Wrapping up some nice stories and the conclusion to  Mordin Solus arc made the entire series for me. At the point of the third game, I was pretty sure that some serious Deus Ex Machina shit would have to go down. Because there was no other way to solve the whole reaper issue. Now I did not really expect an actual god machine but hey, in the end it does not matter if you see the wizard or just the strings being pulled. The illusion is still broken. So I mostly disregard the last 10-ish minutes of the game and enjoy the ride to get there. I am sure that I will view the fourth entry into the series in the same way but I do get why people are pissed. 

Now the game in general is jaw-dropping and I found myself eerily fascinated by the face wrinkle system. And for some weird reasons, I find myself invested in the characters around the Ryders. Time will tell if that is enough to carry the game and if it will be enough of a hit to get proper sequels. 

For now Mass Effect Andromeda is a flawed game with potential. 


Also why does it always have to be some ancient but now lost civilisation...? It makes sense from a reality perspective but we kinda been there done that. 

Until next time, stay safe, be kind and play fair. 

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment